These days most of us do not have time to make desserts when we are entertaining, we usually pick up something pre-made. This might save us some time, but there are many advantages to baking your own desserts, because you are in control. In this blog post, I’ll give you a great healthy dessert recipe for homemade baked maple custard.
When you make desserts at home, make them healthy by:
- Opting for healthier sweeteners such as maple syrup, honey or fruit juice instead of sugar
- Choosing high quality ingredients (such as organic milk, organic eggs or local seasonal fruit)
- Using no additives or preservatives
- Making things from scratch, instead of pre-packaged boxes
- Substituting healthier fats like sunflower oil coconut oil or butter (instead of margarine, shortening, soya oil, or inexpensive vegetable oils)
One of the easiest and most impressive desserts to make your friends and family is homemade custard, it takes minutes to make, but will tantalize your guests as they smell it baking in the oven. Served warm it will not last long. Need a dairy-free option? Just substitute the milk for organic soya milk.
Homemade Baked Maple Custard
What you need:
2 ½ cups organic milk (or organic soya milk for dairy-free option)
4 eggs (preferably organic)
½ tsp of sea salt
1/3 cup Canadian maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
6 oven-proof custard cups or ramekins and a baking pan
a 9×13 glass baking pan
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until frothy.
- Pour mixture into ramekins, and fill ¾ full.
- Place ramekins in baking pan and fill baking pan halfway with water. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until you can shake one without the middle moving. Be very careful when removing from the oven as the water will be very hot.
- If you do not have any custard dishes, don’t worry, you can make the custard in a glass baking dish. Do not add any water. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top starts to turn golden.
This dish was a hit when I brought it to my mother-in-law’s birthday a few years ago. Now it is frequently requested for our family get-togethers. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine. Send us your feedback!
Until next time,