Great Grilled Balsamic Asparagus Recipe
It’s planting season! I am quickly figuring out that gardening and planting are not as easy as they may seem. It appears most of what I planted last year has not survived the winter and I do not think it relates to soil condition or full sun/part sun as much as it has to do with me being horrible at planting. So this year I am committed to changing all of that by visiting the greenhouses/garden centres, speaking with seasoned gardeners, learning from my mistakes, and managing my expectations. Fingers crossed. I’m taking advice; so feel free to share by commenting on this blog post or on our Facebook page.
I have another feeling that my lack of success at gardening relates to my lack of commitment to the trade. It seemed that every time I went out to manage the garden, I would end up firing the BBQ, having a few beverages on the patio and enjoying the spring or summer day. I need to get my priorities straight… or maybe they already are!
Our partners at Northland Gardens Centre in Sharon and Newmarket and our very own garden Centre in Uxbridge are well stocked for spring planting.
Our meat departments are hard at work preparing seasonal kabobs, souvlaki, flattened chickens and house-made sausage. The first crop of Ontario Asparagus is in and goes great on the grill. Fresh cherries have arrived and are being featured this week. This is a great time to be eating fresh.
Here’s a quick fan favourite recipe for Ontario Asparagus.
Grilled Balsamic Asparagus
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium or regular)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus and wash well through 2-3 changes of cold water.
- Combine all ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag, seal and marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat grill on high heat.
- Remove asparagus from bag (discard marinade) and place on preheated oiled grill rack.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side or until asparagus is done.
Let us know how you like it! And don’t forget to leave a link back to your own blog as well if you have one via the commentluv feature here on the site.
Until next time,